General Emergency Information
Here are some links that have detailed information about what you can do to protect yourself and your property in the event of a disaster. If you have found some other good sites please e-mail the webmaster with the web address. Thanks!
- Pacific Disaster Center - The PDC provides easy access to hazard and risk information and analytical products for executive decision-makers, disaster managers, and community planners.
- Is Your Community Ready for the Next Disaster?
- American Red Cross Disaster Safety
- Disaster Supply Kit - You need this in your home!
- Your Family Disaster Plan - Design your family disaster plan today!
- The Weather Channel - Project Safeside
- Municipality of Anchorage - Brochure order forms for Alaskan residents
- American Red Cross Emergency Preparedness Checklist - Use this handy checklist to avoid potential dangers in a disaster.
- FEMA Reference Library - information on response, recovery, mitigation, preparedness, training, telecommunications, animals in a disaster, etc.
- Alaska Seismic Hazards Safety Commission
- Earthquake Mitigation Project Handbook
- American Red Cross: Earthquakes
- Seismic Retrofit Training Materials
- National Earthquake Information Center
- Alaska Earthquake Center
- Seismology Resources for Teachers
- Small Business Preparedness for Earthquakes
- FEMA Earthquake Resource Catalog
- Firewise - This is the best site we've seen for defensible space and general fire mitigation.
- American Red Cross: Wildfires
- Flood Mitigation Project Handbook
- Flood Mitigation Fact Sheets
- The Weather Channel - Project Safeside - great informative site, check it out!
- Floodplain Management in Alaska - Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development
- National Weather Service - driving in low water areas
- Floods and Flash Floods - good flood mitigation site
- American Red Cross: Flood Safety
- American Red Cross: Repairing Your Flooded Home
Avalanche and Landslide Links:
- 8 Steps to Reduce your Avalanche Risk
- Landslides and Mudflows - Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Landslide & Snow Avalanches - in Canada
- National Landslide Information Center
- American Red Cross: Winter Storms
- Alaska Volcano Observatory
- Volcano World - This is a great educational site for K-12
- USGS Geological Information - Information on volcanoes and earthquakes
If you have questions about mitigation, e-mail Alaska's Hazard Mitigation Officer, Brent Nichols.