Flooding is the most common natural disaster. Floods have caused the death of more than 10,000 people since 1900.
What can I do today?
- Learn the safest route from your home and business to high, safe ground, in case of evacuation
- Have your Disaster Supply Kitupdated and easily accessible
- Flood Safe Brochure
- Buy flood insurance, most homeowner's policies will not cover flooding
- Don't store valuables in the basement
- Pacific Disaster Center - The PDC provides easy access to hazard and risk information and analytical products for executive decision-makers, disaster managers, and community planners.
- Flood Mitigation Project Handbook - New!
- The Weather Channel - Project Safeside - great informative site, check it out!
- Floodplain Management in Alaska -Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development
- National Weather Service - driving inlow water areas
- Floods and Flash Floods - good flood mitigation site
- American Red Cross: Flood Safety
- American Red Cross: Repairing Your Flooded Home
- Mitigation Reference Link Page - see DHS&EM's complete list of mitigation links here
If you have questions about mitigation, e-mail Alaska's Hazard Mitigation Officer, Brent Nichols.